I am a total book worm. Each semester I promise myself to read at least 1 non-textbook. For sanity sake. The #1 thing I look forward to during summer vacation isn't the fact that I don't have school, but because this means I make a book list and can read as much as I want! My ideal vacation is laying on a beach just reading. I could do it all day long.
Anyway. I thought that I would share a few of my personal favorites from this summer's book list that I thought maybe some of you would enjoy if you are searching for a good book to stick your nose in.
Disclaimer: I hate sad, sappy romance books so you will find none of those on this booklist.
1. The Hunger Games/ Catching Fire/Mockingjay: I finished this trilogy this summer and these are definitely in my top 5 favorite books of all time. The first one was my favorite but they are all amazing. So amazing that I got my brother, Kais to read them and Chris even read the first one. Let me tell you, this book keeps you on the edge of your seat and you will probably finish each one in a few days. You will stay up until 2am and wake up at 5am to start reading again.You will. Chris' sisters and I have taken it upon ourselves to cast all the characters for the movies that will be coming out next year.
2. The Help: Since the movie came out, I'm sure plenty of you have read this incredible book. If you haven't, I highly recommend it. It's the perfect combination of happy, funny and inspiring.
3. The Same Kind of Different as Me: This book is incredibly thought-provoking and, again, inspiring. It's a quick read but it is definitely a life changing book. It's no self-help book, but by the time you read the last page you will look at your own life a little differently.
4. Something Borrowed (1st book) /Something Blue(sequel): They made this first book into a movie, which I haven't seen but I read these books a few years back and fell in love with them. They are great if you are looking for a fun and girlie read.
5. A Million Little Pieces: I read this book and #6 a few years back but they are great if you are ok with the raw description of drug and alcohol addiction then you should read this book. It's an incredible story with an interesting ending even though some parts can be a little intense.
6. My Friend Leonard: This is the sequel to A Million Little Pieces. I think I liked this book better but, again, there are some intense parts.
7. Bossypants: This is Tina Fey's new book and I'm in the middle of reading it now. Let me just tell you how hilarious she is. Every sentence is like a line from 30 Rock or Mean Girls. I was at the gym yesterday and literally laughed out loud looking like a lunatic the whole time on the elliptical.I haven't stopped laughing in 3 days
8. 127 Hours: This is the Aron Ralston Book, aka, Between a Rock and a Hard Place. This is such an interesting book. It's really long and some of it I didn't understand because I'm no mountaineer so some of the lingo was over my head but, overall, this was a great read. Like I said, it was long but it was totally worth it. Describing what it was like to be trapped for 5 days with very little food and water and then feeling like he was at the end of his rope was incredible. This man and this book are very inspiring and heart-warming (not the cutting off of the arm part but the reasons why he did it and how he came to make that difficult decision)
Ok! Well these were my summer reads (minus #4,5 and 6) and I enjoyed every last one of them. If you are in need for a good book then I would suggest any of these. They are all very different in genre and plot but all were very entertaining nonetheless.
Let me know if you have any book suggestions for me. I'm always up for an addition to my book list.

"Mr. Peanut" was an interesting read. I forget the author though.
ReplyDelete