Disclaimer: This post is not... I repeat not an attempt to gain sympathy or even get a complimentary comment. This is just a funny depressing incident that happened to me the other day.
Have you ever needed motivation to go work out? Some days you just don't feel like it or just get so busy that it just slips your mind? Never again will I have one of those days. Please, let me tell you why.
The best work out motivator??
Someone calling you fat to your face. Yep. Just flat out pointing it out to your face. It happened. To me. I cried. For an hour.
Allow me to explain. My mom has a good friend that is straight out of Iran. She is the sweetest lady you will ever meet. She came to my wedding and everything. She has a thick Iranian accent and sometimes there is a bit of a language barrier and culture barrier. Well, she stopped by my house the other night and when she went to give me a hug she says "aww you've gotten fatter!" I'm sorry, what? Fatter? Does fat mean the same thing in Iran as it does in America? I'm stunned. Let the water works begin. And when tears start welling in my eyes she immediately got very concerned and said that it was a good thing, not a bad thing. Again, culture barrier. Consider the damage done. So I proceed to cry for the next hour to my mom and Lauren and of course they tried to reassure me but there is nothing to be said that will make you feel better. When someone points out that you've gotten fatter how can you recover from that?
Confidence booster huh? Maybe moving from Utah was a mistake because everyone wears big, bulky coats for 9 months out of the year so no one can tell the skinny kids from the fat kids! ha! Anyway, the moral of the story is that no longer will I have motivation issues when going to the gym. Believe me, I'll be getting my butt there on a daily basis!!
I'm able to kind of laugh about it now but I was mortified for the first day. Like I said, this post was NOT to fish for skinny compliments or anything like that. It was just to share a funny story (I'm still having a hard time calling this story "funny" because it wasn't remotely funny to me at the time but Chris was able to get me to laugh about it)
ha. 1. compliments aside, you're not fat. 2. i can say i have more than enough stories that would fit in this category so i would like to say join the club, but you're just not quite there yet because you're too skinny. i sure miss you, cute girl!!
ReplyDeletetry being told..."oh alyssa, you make pregnancy look so easy!"
ReplyDeletewhaaaat?! yeah. you're definitely not alone.
okay obviously this is horrible and you're in no way fat...but i do have to agree you shouldn't have moved from utah because we could have taken zumba together and fit back into size 0 jeans! also we have to remember the benefits of this situation we discussed yesterday!!! love you gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteIn all honesty, when you get married you gain a few pounds. I'm pretty sure you could afford to gain about 30lbs and you would still be tiny!
ReplyDeleteYou should've told her, "Well thank goodness you noticed, I'm 6 months pregnant!" .. That would've made her heart fall out of her butt =)