Cheyenne and Chris

Friday, September 9, 2011

A Day in History

 In remembrance of 9/11 I would just like to dedicate a blog post to all Americans and insert my feelings and my gratitude for the people involved on this tragic day in our history.



After watching tv tributes and as I write this, I have tears in my eyes and love in my heart for the hundreds of people who lost their lives on September 11, 2001....  The people who were on the airplanes, the people in the WTC and Pentagon, the firefighters and policemen and the affected families... all of whom I have so much love for. Images and memories weigh heavy on my mind and heart this day. I'll never forget what I saw, where I was and how I felt 1 decade ago. The events of 9/11 were and still are unfathomable and I still have a hard time watching live footage from that day because it just breaks my heart and I cry. I cry for the heroes that lost their lives. I cry for those who witnessed it first hand. I cry for the moms, dads, husbands, wives and children who never came home that day. And I cry for those who got out alive and for those who didn't. The heroes who sacrificed their lives so that others could make it out alive are what really touch my heart. The Ground Zero museum has a display of the exact firetruck of 10 firemen who returned to the WTC to help but got crushed by the second tower's collapse. When everyone else ran out... they were running in. That is what a hero means to me.

The one thing that can make me smile in the midst of this tragedy was the American pride that transformed our country from devastated to united. The tragedy that our nation went through on that day is something that is horrific and heart-warming all at the same time. The unity that we felt as a nation is something that I will forever remember. It didn't matter what color your skin was, what education you had, what your career was, how old or young you were.... the only thing that mattered was that we were all American.  

Another thing that I find patriotic since that day is the willingness for soldiers to fight for our freedom against terrorism. This war has weighed heavy on all Americans and has a very sensitive place in my heart since my brother will likely be getting deployed to fight for our freedom within the next few months. I am grateful for our military who takes pride in our country and will serve our country day in and day out. However, serving in Iraq or Afghanistan isn't the only way to show our American pride. We can hang the American flag and remember what it means to us, we can thank a military man or woman for their service, we can remember to thank our Heavenly Father for the country that we live in when we say our prayers.

I am so grateful for this country and for the liberties we enjoy. I'm grateful to those who have served, are serving and will serve our country. I hope that this year on September 11 we can all take a few minutes from our busy lives and have a moment of silence and prayer to remember what it means to us to call ourselves an American.

Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve -George W. Bush

1 comment: