OK. Let's Talk: THIS is what it feels like to have a job
So I have a pretty sweet job. I work at an event center and work with a lot of weddings and parties and stuff like that on a regular basis. I'd say about 98%of the time I love it. However, that remaining 2% of times that I hate it... I REALLY hate it. And not so much the job but the people. Anytime you have a job that requires you to interact with different people everyday, you are going to come in contact with some weirdos/jerks/sweethearts and everything in between.
Allow me to explain:
I worked a quincenera the other night (and don't take offense, any Mexicans reading this because I,myself, am part Hispanic as well) with some of the most sassy Mexican girls I have ever met. I'll accept the fact that I don't speak Spanish very well and, in a society that speaks a lot of Spanish, I'll admit that I should work on this. However, this is still America and don't speak to me in Spanish and get sassy with me because I can't respond to you in a timely manner. Also, whoever decides that it's acceptable to walk in this joint with a revolting amount of cheap cologne on was sorely mistaken. Just a tip: you don't smell good.
Also, on another occasion, around 9pm when the building was completely empty except for me, a group of people made an on-the-spot reservation for a couple of hours. No big deal, really. Until I notice that they are walking in with cases of beer. Again, not really a big deal because our building allows alcohol. What WAS a big deal was that these kids looked like they couldn't have been a day over 17. So, non-nonchalantly I walk in their room and notice that they have also brought in bottles of liquor, which we don't allow. I told them our policy on booze and also told them that I had to check each of their id's if they were going to be drinking the beer. (This is the good part) So the first dude just whips out his wallet and hands me his military ID all confident-like. Upon further inspection I notice his birthday is 8-15-92. Oh, 1992? Really? Do I look retarded or like I don't realize that if you are born in 1992 you are really 19? So I just had to laugh in his face and say good try.
Now, most of the time I have wonderful experiences at my job. I love working weddings because I get to see some of the cutest ideas implemented into their reception! Like, when a reception bought a TON of the Chinese fire lanterns and lit them into the night sky after their reception and after their guests wrote wedding wishes to the couple and it looked just like "Tangled". So cute. And the wedding where the girl just decorated the room so that it looked like you just walked into Anthropologie complete with birdcages, colorful flowers, and just a hodge-podge of cuteness. Makes me want to have a reception ALL over again (Yes, parents? Yes, Chris?)
But my favorite thing that goes on here is the group of Hula Dancers between the ages of 3-10 who practice every Saturday. It's the most adorable thing and it makes me want to
1. Go to Hawaii again 2. Join in their little hip swinging (because, let me tell you... I'm a greeeaaat dancer, just ask Chris about my killer Justin Beiber dance-moves.)
I also get some pretty fun perks while I'm here. Like the other day when we got a group of friends together to watch the Heat/Mavs game on our huge projection screen? Good stuff.
All in all, I'm happy to say that I don't dread going to work like a lot of people. I get to go to work and have fun. Oh, and write blogs like I'm doing right now :)
please implement your anthropologie reception ideas into my reception decor, thank you. also the quincienera never gets old.
ReplyDelete