Cheyenne and Chris

Monday, May 16, 2011

Our 6 Month Delayed Honeymoon

Ok. Let's Talk: Honeymoon excursion

Chris and I just got back from our (much needed) honeymoon! We left from Miami on a cruise to Nassau, Coco Cay and Key West and let me tell you... it was GLORIOUS. Instead of giving you a play-by-play description of our honeymoon, I'll just give a quick outline of our first vacation together...

South Beach: The highlight of South Beach was scoring a couple of tickets to the Miami Heat/Boston Celtics first playoff game! It was such a fun game to watch, we got to see Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Chris Bosh, Rajon Rondo and..... SHAQ! It was incredible
What I failed to capture on photo was the crazy man accusing Chris and I of being zombies and the other crazy, fat dude wearing literally nothing but a thong, lace unitard. Sorry, guys better luck next time.



Day 1: Nassau, Bahamas

We went on their infamous powerboat adventure to a secluded island in the middle of the ocean. And when I say secluded I'm talking, riding on a boat going 80 mph and it still took us an hour to get there. Despite the extremely bumpy ride for an hour (see my incredibly cute picture below) we got to the island where we fed the indigenous iguanas, stingrays (I'll get to my stingray story in a minute) and reef sharks. I also feel compelled to explain this picture: I'm NOT crying, but I'm partially laughing while at the same time trying to brace myself for the giant waves that hit us in the face every 10 seconds or so, hence, the raincoat.


Then we went snorkling to see the reef... and reef sharks. And let me just tell you how terrified I was. One minute we are feeding fish heads to these nurse sharks and lemon sharks and the next minute I'm told we're going to be swimming with them! Excuse me? I watch enough Shark Week and Animal Planet to know that nurse sharks and lemon sharks are no angels. But, I figure "this is our honeymoon and there are going to be at least 20 other people in the water so all I have to do is swim faster than the slowest person in case a shark decides that fish heads weren't enough for lunch and they also want some human flesh". I do it. I loved it. I would do it again. Did we see some sharks? Sure did. Did I freak out? Not as much as I would have thought. Anyway, now to my stingray experience. Earlier, when the stingray would swim by I would touch it and it was kind of cool and I really liked it... until it came to feeding them. Now, if any of you have ever fed a stingray before, you know that their mouth is on the bottom. So they told us to get on our knees in the water and line up shoulder to shoulder. We each got a piece of fish to put between our fingers and the idea is just to hold your hand under water and the stingray will simply swim over your hand and suck up the fish into its mouth. Sounds easy right? Well, the guide quickly warned us not to make any sudden movements or the stingray will freak out and stab you with its poisonous barb... oh no big deal, it's only how Steve Irwin kicked it! So I'm trying to stay really still but it's a little difficult to be still when the stingray LITERALLY swims up onto my stomach and then tries to swim between my legs. Needless to say I'm squirming while Chris keeps saying "be still be still!" Let's just say that was the end of my stingray feeding.



Day 2: We stopped at the cruise ships private island called CocoCay. We spent the day soaking up the sun and eating lots of food on the beach. We could walk a few hundreds yards into the water and the water would never go above my knees and the water was crystal clear. The water isn't deep and it's clear and warm? Sign me up. That's my kind of beach. The water was beautiful and it was such a relaxing day.


Day 3: Our last stop was at Key West, Florida. I had been there before when I was little and the highlight was swimming and feeding Manatees. Unfortunately, this didn't happen this go-around but we did get to explore the 2 mile x 4 mile island on a trolley. It was so much fun because I didn't realize how much history this island had! Hemmingway lived in Key West! Did you know that? I didn't. Anyway, we spent half the day in Key West and the rest of the day laying out by the pool eating our weight in ice cream (don't judge, if you had unlimited access to ice cream you would eat it every 10 minutes too)


Well, ladies and gentlemen, that was the gist of our cruise and it was a wonderful way to finish off our crazy semester and we're hoping to save up for another cruise in the future!

2 comments:

  1. This time we need to do a cruise together next time! PS- I love that you're blogging now. Maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon some day..

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA Cheyenne! i am dying at that first picture of you in the red jacket on the boat! tender face hahaha

    ReplyDelete