Cheyenne and Chris

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

So Far....

At Meadowbrook Middle School I have so far......

1. learned all sorts of good cursing in Spanish

2. learned plenty of new "lingo" to add to my vocabulary. A few personal favorites include:
Ratchet: sloppy and obnoxious, and has a big attitude. (rachet, adjective). Not on-point (clothes, hair, etc.) 
Roasting: making fun of someone


3. Been called a "white ass bitch" by a 13 year old....  (Don't worry I wasn't the only one who got cussed out that day, she eventually wound up in handcuffs by the end of the day) I doubt that will  be the last time I get cussed out so I took it like a champ and I even received the head athletic coach's validation that I can handle my own at this school.

4. Handled a knock down, drag out fight between boys in class. I'm talking punching in the face, wrestling on the ground and knocking over desks.  (And when I say "handled" I really mean all I could do in the situation was move desks and yell at one of the boys friends to pull him off of each other. There was not much "handling" to be done.)

5. learned to never, ever use red or blue supplies in conjunction. Gang colors are not to be mixed. Unfortunately even in the 8th grade.

6. learned to get some extremely thick skin.

7.  Experienced many flaws in the school system. I now understand all the controversy that surrounds our schools.

8. Identified which of my students are in gangs, which ones already have kids, which ones do drugs and which ones have family issues. Again, yes we are still talking 8th graders here

9. Had to display more patience than I ever have before. I'm not notorious for being patient so when I have to explain the same thing approximately 30 times before a student finally understands what I'm saying without pulling my hair out all while keeping a smile on my face.... I'm just saying I deserve a pat on the back.

10. Gained respect and trust from my students. I love when the girls give me hugs and the guys fist pump me in the halls when I see them. As frustrating and difficult as they can be, they are also wonderful and lovable and I'm so blessed to work in this inner city school (hopefully) making a difference in their lives and making them feel like they can accomplish anything they set their mind to.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. This sounds incredibly hard! When I taught 5th grade in Utah it was obviously nothing like this! I'm impressed that you can handle it and that you're willing to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, love this post! I am positive you are such an amazing teacher and that you are making a difference in your student's lives every day!
    Cant even imagine how it would be trying to handle that fight! I am sure it has been and amazing experience and I am so happy for you! Love you and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a CRAZY school. I'm sure your hard work is very rewarding... but dang. I don't think I have thick enough skin. Kids are nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those sweet kids; the future of America, huh? glad you have thick skin!

    ReplyDelete